Saturday, February 4, 2012

WATER by Terra Harmony

Water
Terra Harmony

Rating: C+


Description from goodreads.com:
All of the elemental powers are in the palm of her hand…and it won't be enough to save her. When Kaitlyn Alder is involuntarily introduced to a life of magic, she becomes part of an organization hell-bent on saving the Earth. Just as her new-found life holds promises of purpose, romance, and friendship, the organization divides and a rogue member holds Kaitlyn hostage. Now one of the most terrifying men the human race has to offer stands between her and Earth's survival.


My thoughts on the book:
This novel was okay, but there were a few glaring mistakes that made me give it such a low rating. First of all, there were about 5 grammatical errors, spelling errors, or typos per Kindle page. As a former English major, nothing bothers me more than careless editing. I know it's hard to edit your own work, and I know that even editors make mistakes, but there was an abundance of mistakes, and that made the book a lot less enjoyable to me. Other people may not be as sensitive about this as I am, but it's a big deal to me, so I detracted a lot of points. Another thing that really irritated me about this book was the fact that Harmony insisted on over-describing every single thing, which slowed down the pacing immensely. Other than those two things, though, the book was well-written and enjoyable. Those are just two of my biggest pet peeves, so I'm being a bit subjective with my rating. 

The characters of the book were all well developed. I liked Kaitlyn. Instead of laying around waiting for people to rescue her when she was trapped, she took matters into her own hands. I like my lead characters to have some nerve. Also, Harmony did a fantastic job in providing character's back stories. We learn a lot about the characters throughout the novel, and I really enjoyed it. She worked the back stories into the story seamlessly, and that takes talent. The back stories made the characters feel very well-developed. There were no cookie-cutter characters in this book, that's for sure. 

The plot was fantastic and extremely creative. I think Harmony has created a new genre called Eco-fantasy with this book. Other than the insanely long descriptions, the pacing of the book was really quick, and a lot of action took place. This book will definitely keep you turning the pages until the very end. 

Over all, Water was a good, quick read with lots of action and character development. Copy editing mistakes aside, I'd recommend this book to anyone. You're sure to love it. 


Want to buy Water?

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm ... I actually enjoy lengthy descriptions so maybe this is a good book for me. But I do find grammatical errors annoying and self-published ebooks seem to be full of them! I must say, I do like the cover art. Thanks for another good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely interested in the plot line, something a bit different finally. Grammatical errors do annoy me sometimes but mostly I can let them go and just enjoy the book so should be a good read for me, thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you have this in the YA section, I'm surprised you didn't mention the very adult themes, and *uncomfortable* events towards the end. Editing issues don't bother me so much, so that didn't distract me as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing this out. What happened is I copy/pasted all of my reviews into my YA section when I divided my reviews, and then I *thought* I moved all of the Adult books over. I apparently missed one. Sorry about that! Moving it now.

      Delete
  4. Until a few years ago, I didn't like reading. Now I devour books. But I think that because of my lack of enjoying reading before, I am not always aware of mistakes thus it doesn't affect my reading experience the way the mistakes in this book did for you! Of course, I've actually been reading up on correct use of punctuation and such, so I do notice mistakes a lot more often now. Still, unless it's really bad, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story.

    I have read Water, and I really enjoyed it. Plus, I don't mind lengthy descriptions. I think I would rather have more description than not enough. :)

    Great review!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!