Friday, September 7, 2012

COVET by Melissa Darnell

Covet
Melissa Darnell

Rating: A
Release Date: 09/25/12
Synopsis:
Dangerous to be together. Painful to be apart.Savannah Colbert knows she broke up with Tristan Coleman for the right reasons. Most of all, to keep from killing him with her new vampire abilities. But try telling her heart. Now, lost in a sea of hostile Clann faces, Sav tries to come to terms with what she's becoming and what that means for her future. And that someone is doing their best to bully her into making a terrible mistake.

Tristan can't believe Sav won't even talk to him. If being apart is her decision, fine. Just don't expect him to honor it. But even as he prepares to fight for the girl he loves, forces beyond their control take them both in directions neither could have foreseen or prepared for.

A reckoning is coming …and not everyone will survive.


My thoughts on the book:
Wow. I thought Crave was intense, but Covet completely blew it out of the water. I could not put this book down! The characters surprised me, the plot was extremely captivating, and I did not see that ending coming! Darnell was able to keep me guessing throughout the entire novel. I really had no idea how things would end up. There was also a teaser for book 3 at the end, and I can't wait for it to come out! If you haven't read this series yet, you need to give it a try ASAP. You won't be sorry.

Savannah really impressed me in this novel. She's grown a lot since Crave, and she has to make some tough decisions. However, she makes the most mature and selfless decisions possible. Instead of moping about how unfair her life is and refusing to get out of bed *coughBellaSwancough*, she tries to keep herself occupied in an effort to ignore the pain she feels from being forced to break up with Tristan. Tristan, for his part, is a giant brat at some times, but it all stems from a hurt that he has no idea how to deal with. Guys aren't very good at dealing with emotions, and that is illustrated nicely with Tristan. We also get to learn more about Rob, Anne, and Mr. Colbert, Savannah's dad. I really enjoyed getting to know each of these characters better. 

The plot was full of suspense, and toward the end, it was also full of action. So much was going on that I was kept guessing the entire time. The pacing was perfect, though, and nothing felt rushed. Everything was clear. I just couldn't figure out who the "bad guys" were. Also, I enjoyed learning more about the world of the vampires and the Clann. At the end of the novel, it was plain to see how everything fit together. This book has a bit of a "destiny" feel to it. In other words, it feels like things are fated to happen, and because of that, no matter what happens in between, those things still occur. I'm not sure if Darnell intended that or if it is just my take on the novel. The end was a bit of a cliffhanger, and the teaser of book 3 didn't help matters any. That's my main complaint. Now I have to wait until 2013 to find out what happens with Savannah and co., and I don't want to wait that long!

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a different twist on vampire/witch/YA romance stories. Darnell has created an interesting world with complex characters that paranormal fans are sure to enjoy. 

Want to pre-order Covet?



1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I didn't read your review too closely because I'm afraid to spoil the first book. I think I might have to check out Crave soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!