Monday, October 8, 2012

ALL YOU NEVER WANTED by Adele Griffin

All You Never Wanted
Adele Griffin

Rating: D
Release Date: 10/9/12
Synopsis:
With my eyes closed and Alex's core friends all around me, it was like I'd become my big sister, or something just as good. And so who cared if they were calling it Alex's party? One thing I knew: it would be remembered as mine.

Alex has it all—brains, beauty, popularity, and a dangerously hot boyfriend. Her little sister Thea wants it all, and she's stepped up her game to get it. Even if it means spinning the truth to win the attention she deserves. Even if it means uncovering a shocking secret her older sister never wanted to share. Even if it means crying wolf.

Told in the alternating voices of Alex and Thea, Adele Griffin's mesmerizing new novel is the story of a sibling rivalry on speed.


My thoughts on the book:

I may have enjoyed this novel more if I had actually been able to stomach any of the characters. As it stands, I finished this simply to see how it ended, but I didn't enjoy it. The writing wasn't bad, which is why I rated this with a D instead of an F. I just didn't enjoy the subject matter or the characters at all. I thought this would be different than it was. Fans of depressing contemporary will probably love this. I, however, did not. 

One of my complaints with these characters is the binary aspect of it. Thea is an intelligent character who is more comfortable with a book than a group of people. However, as she discovers her sister's life, she wants to steal it from her basically. It's disgusting, if you ask me. Of course no one asked me, so I guess that doesn't matter. But since it's my blog, it's kind of like I'm being asked, so I'm telling. Alex is a bit whiny and over dramatic, in my opinion. I didn't like her much either, and I certainly didn't buy her love for Xander. 

The plot was different, but I just didn't like it. I don't like lies and jealousy and the like to the degree that they're exhibited here. I don't like them at all, but at least in books they normally make for a good story. Not in this case. Thea just did one crappy thing after another, and I kind of hated her a lot. 

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this story to people who don't like reading from a brat's perspective. Or in this case, two brats' perspectives. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a book that would continually have me frustrated... think I'll skip it for now!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!