Friday, November 30, 2012

CRIMSON FROST by Jennifer Estep

Crimson Frost
Jennifer Estep

Rating: A+
Release Date: 12/24/12
Synopsis:
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…


My thoughts on the book:
Wow. Crimson Frost is my favorite book in the series, so far. This novel is action-packed and full of romance and nonstop suspense. I could not put it down! Gwen grew a ton as a character over the arc of this story, and some new characters (and mythological types) were introduced. This is one book that will not disappoint!

Gwen was fantastic in this book. The poor girl can't catch a break, and this time she's facing the death penalty. Thankfully, she was much smarter in this book than she was the last one. She really stood on her own and took care of herself (and everyone else) in this installment. I really like how her character is progressing, and I can't wait to see how much stronger she gets in the next book. Logan was super sweet in this novel. I now love him even more, if that's possible. Daphne, Carson, Oliver, Grandma Frost, Vic, Metis, Nickamedes, and Coach Ajaxx were also great additions to the story, as usual. I also really liked the new characters we got introduced to... even the bad guys. They were interesting. No cookie-cutter characters from Estep, that's for sure. 

Crimson Frost was fast-paced, but nothing felt rushed. The plot was extremely intense. The problems started within the first few pages and continued until the end of the novel. Some of the issues were solved during the course of the book, but others got added. It didn't really end on a cliffhanger, but the ending left an opening for Midnight Frost, which comes out in August of 2013 (I can't wait!). I would go into more detail here, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Let me just say that you will not be able to put this book down. 

Overall, I'd recommend this series to anyone who loves YA mythology-inspired/supernatural books. For those of you who have already read the previous books in the series, you cannot miss this novel. It's the best one yet. I, personally, can't wait to see what Gwen and co. get into next. 

Pre-order Crimson Frost!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!