Monday, December 17, 2012

BLOOD PROPHECY by Alyxandra Harvey

Blood Prophecy
Alyxandra Harvey

Rating: A
Release Date: 01/08/13
Synopsis:
In the thrilling conclusion of the Drake Chronicles, love and loyalties will be tested ... and proven once and for all.
Solange Drake has been officially crowned Queen of the Vampires, fulfilling the centuries old prophecy that foretold the rise to power of a daughter born to an ancient vampire line. Except Solange's thoughts and actions are no longer her own—she's been slowly being possessed by the spirit of Viola, the first daughter born into the Drake line, since her blood change. And instead of uniting the vampire tribes under the rule of an ancient daughter as the prophecy predicted, Viola would rather destroy them all and enslave humans in a personal vendetta for the devastation both wrought to her life centuries ago. Can Solange break her hold in time to save everyone she loves from a vampire civil war, hunter attack, and each other? Not everyone will survive the prophecy . . . perhaps not even her.


My thoughts on the book:
Blood Prophecy is an intense thrill-ride that you do not want to miss! This novel was the conclusion of the Drake Chronicles series, and it was non-stop action and suspense. I couldn't put it down! The characters grew into their roles within Harvey's world, the plot was intriguing, and Harvey expertly used polyvocality to tell the complete story. The switching perspectives didn't annoy me like it does in so many books. I felt that it really added to my understanding of the narrative. I'd recommend this book, and this series, to anyone. 

Poor Solange has had a rough time over the course of this series, and I really freaking hated her in the previous installment. However, I was able to better understand her plight in this novel and I really respected how she fought back against Viola. She was a strong character and not bratty at all. That was a huge improvement over the last novel. 

Lucy was my favorite character as always, and I loved reading from her perspective. She grew over the course of the novel, but I didn't feel like her relationship with Nicholas grew enough. That being said, she was still terrific as always. Nicholas wasn't around as much as I would have liked, but this was Solange's book, so I guess that's why. I felt like I got to know some of the secondary characters better, but I still didn't connect with any of the characters outside of the narrators. That's probably  my only complaint. 

The plot was intense and this book was, literally, non-stop action. Once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down. I couldn't believe poor Solange kept having so many problems, but they just kept coming. She was really tested in this novel. They all were. In an effort not to spoil it for anyone, I'll leave my plot discussion off here. The ending tied everything up wonderfully, and the pacing was perfect. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a good vampire story. This series was a billion times better than Twilight, and while I'm sad to see it end, Blood Prophecy was the perfect ending to an excellent series. I can't wait to see what Harvey writes next. 

Want to pre-order Blood Prophecy?




1 comment:

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!