Friday, December 28, 2012

My Top 12 Favorite Reads of 2012!

Wow! I can't believe this year is almost over. This has been a fantastic (and fantastically busy) year for me. I've accomplished a lot and had some terrific experiences. Some of my most memorable experiences were meeting Jeaniene Frost, meeting Sherrilyn Kenyon, and seeing Social Distortion in concert. I've applied to graduate schools, scored in the 91st percentile on the GRE, had blurbs featured on book covers and in magazines, quit smoking, started working out again, conducted independent ethnographic research (as an undergrad), and written an 18 page paper about that research. I've also made some amazing friends and learned some unbelievable things. Overall, this has been a terrific year. I'm sad to see it go, but excited for what 2013 has in store for me.

And I almost forgot to mention that I've read some terrific books this year! Here are my top 12 for 2012.

12. Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost - this is a spin-off series to the Night Huntress novels. The leading man is Vlad, so I knew it had to be good. I wasn't disappointed.



11. The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead - this is the second novel in the Vampire Academy spin-off series that follows Sydney's adventures as an alchemist.

10. Until I Die by Amy Plum - this is the second book in a fantastic series that is set in Paris. It's about hot zombies who save lives. Amy Plum is a genius.

9. Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout - this is the second book in JLA's YA sci-fi romance series (called the Lux series for those of you who have been living under a rock). I'm not normally a huge fan of sci-fi, but I love this series!

8. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry - this is the only contemporary YA novel on the list. I read a lot of good contemporary this year, but this one grabbed me and wouldn't let go. It's definitely one of my favorite contemporary reads of all time.

7. Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout - this is the third book in JLA's YA mythological series (called the Covenant series). Previously, this was my second favorite JLA series, but this book pushed the Covenant series into the lead. The entire book was amazing, but the ending blew me away. I can't wait for Apollyon.

6. Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong - this is the thirteenth and final book in Kelley's adult Women of the Otherworld series. Armstrong is my favorite author of all time, and this is one of my absolute favorite series ever. Thirteen was a terrific ending to an exceptional series. It was one of the best series endings I've ever read.

5. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard - this is a new YA steampunk zombie series. I love steampunk, and I love zombies, so it's no surprise that I adored this book. I can't wait for the second installment. The zombies were gross in this book, but the zombie hunters were H-O-T!

4. Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson - this is a new adult paranormal romance/urban fantasy series, and it is fantastic! This book was a surprise in my mailbox one day because I hadn't requested it. It did not disappoint, though!

3. Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris - this is a new sci-fi YA series. I know, I know, I said I don't usually love sci-fi, and I don't, but this book is an exception. It reads like an action movie, and there is a very believable and touching romance going on as well. I'm dying to know what happens in the next installment!

2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - this is the beginning of a new paranormal series by Maggie Stiefvater. It's UNBELIEVABLE! I simply adored this book and all of the characters. I can't wait for the sequel.
1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - this book seriously blew me away. It's part fantasy, part action, and it was unbelievably good. There are no words for how much I loved this book. If the sequel doesn't come out soon, I may just die from the anticipation!

Honorable mention: Otherkin by Nina Berry - This novel is the start of a new series about shifters. Berry has a unique take on shapeshifting that you don't want to miss. This book was seriously amazing, and I loved it so much. However, I just didn't have enough room to add it, too. So I'm making it an honorable mention.

1 comment:

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!