Monday, January 21, 2013

INFINITY by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Infinity
Sherrilyn Kenyon

Rating: B
Synopsis:
At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he's next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn't hard enough... now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

My thoughts on the book:
I was hesitant to read this series because I've been a fan of the Dark-Hunters series for a long time and I already knew what happened to Nick. I didn't see any reason to get his life story when I already knew the "ending," so to speak. I got this book at a Barnes and Noble Sherrilyn Kenyon signing so that I could get my 23498732 Dark-Hunter and League books signed. It was the only book that was available that I didn't have. I figured if I didn't like it, that'd be fine, I could just keep it as a souvenir. It turns out that this is a really awesome story and I don't know the ending! Kenyon added some new challenges to Nick's life, and he may not end up the way he did in the Dark-Hunters series at all. After reading the first book of the series, I'm hooked, and I will run out tomorrow and buy the sequel. 

Nick was a much more dynamic character than I gave him credit for. All of the stuff I knew about him didn't really prepare me to get to know him... if that makes sense. I figured he was just some angsty guy who couldn't let things go when in reality he's battling a lot more than I gave him credit for. Nick's situation was one of those things you can't understand unless you "see" it for yourself, and Kenyon is excellent at showing instead of telling. Therefore when I read about Nick's teenage years, I began to understand him and what his motivations were. The secondary characters didn't stand out a ton, but Simi, Kyrian, and Nekoda are three that I'm looking forward to knowing more about. Overall, they took a backseat to Nick and his issues. 

The plot was extremely complex for a YA novel, and it kept me guessing. Some stuff was obvious, but it's clear that Kenyon planned it that way. The things she didn't want me to know actually surprised me, though. The ending tied up a lot of the questions raised in this novel, but left room for a sequel. It didn't end on a cliffhanger, thankfully, though. The pacing was perfect, and I wasn't bored once throughout the entire book. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to fans of the Dark-Hunters series as well as YA fans who like a good supernatural book written from a guy's perspective. There's a tiny bit of mythology in this book, but I'm sure the mythological aspects will grow as the series continues. This series is very different from Kenyon's other novels, but I enjoyed it. Check it out, you won't be sorry!

Order Infinity!


2 comments:

  1. Nick does sound like a great character. I haven't read either series but have heard a lot about them.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange that the story sort-of changed! I mean it was obviously a good thing in some ways cause it made the story new for you, but it is a strange.
    Great that you managed to get them signed! We don't have author signings like that in the UK.
    I think I've read a couple of books from the dark hunter series, but it was a while ago and I don't really remember much about them!
    Glad that there wasn't a cliffhanger! Thise drive me nuts!
    Think I will keep an eye out for this one :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!