Monday, February 4, 2013

MOONGLOW by Michael Griffo

Moonglow
Michael Griffo

Rating: F-
Release Date: 02/26/13
Synopsis:
From the author of the acclaimed Archangel Academy vampire trilogy comes a stunning new series about a girl determined to defy her fate—and reclaim her future…

Something strange is going on with Dominy Robineau. All her friends in Weeping Water, Nebraska, have noticed—and it’s way beyond teenage blues. As weeks pass, Dom grows consumed by anger, aggression, and violence, and she seems powerless to stop it. Then she turns sixteen, and things get really dangerous.

When her best friend is murdered, Dominy’s father is compelled to reveal the truth behind the darkness that threatens to both overtake and empower her. Her boyfriend, Caleb, swears they’ll find a way to change her destiny. But others are hiding secrets too, and gifts that are far more terrifying than hers. And even as she struggles to control her new abilities, Dom must contend with an enemy who wants her to use the beast within to destroy all those she loves, before she destroys herself…


My thoughts on the book:
Moonglow is the most racist piece of crap that I have ever read in my entire life. I am so offended by this book that I'm not even sure if I can get through this review without cursing up a storm. I am appalled that this book is going to be released since it is so blatantly racist and insensitive. It makes me sick, honestly. Since the awful racism was directed toward American Indians, as usual, it's looked over and treated as acceptable. Well, let me make something clear right now... Racism against any group of people is not acceptable and neither is publishing books for teens that condone and promote blatant hate. 

I really went back and forth on whether or not I should even review this book. I don't enjoy writing bad reviews, and I have never hated a book more than I detest this one. However, American Indian rights are so important, and not many people know anything about them. I had to say something. Thanks to settler colonialism at its finest, America's Master Narrative has omitted American Indian history to the point that people don't know the difference between a Cherokee and a Navajo. This is problematic. Education is the only way to combat this, so I hope that something good can come out of this racist garbage I had to read, and that I can share a little of what I know about what's happening in Indian Country today. 

Griffo is also the worst writer that I've ever read. Let me be clear on this... The guy can't write to save his horribly racist life. He's probably too consumed with hate to write anything worthwhile, but still. This book was the biggest waste of time I've ever read. He describes things way too much, which runs everything into the ground. The language is clunky, and the sentences do not flow. I could barely make myself finish it. 

The character development is non-existent and the plot is boring and predictable. This is the most yawn-worthy book I've read all year. The only emotion I felt while reading this was increasing anger at the horrible racism. 

And while I'm at it, let me just remind Griffo and all the other racists out there... You are living on stolen land. This country is not yours. America's Indigenous peoples have been here for thousands of years and they are still here. They have survived. They have adapted. They are now distinct nations within the United States, and they are human. They deserve respect, just like any other group of humans does. The fact that racism against Indigenous peoples continues simply because of the horrendous Hollywood and sports mascot stereotypes does not make it okay. It is not okay, and these stereotypes are extremely harmful to Indigenous peoples. By condoning and perpetuating these stereotypes and this racism, you are continuing the genocide that the US government started in 1776, and that is disgusting. 

Here are some facts:

1 in every 3 Native American women is sexually assaulted, mostly by non-native men who come onto their reservations and rape them. The Indian Nations cannot press charges because the US government believes that they are incapable of handling the "seven major crimes," which include rape and murder. Therefore, their rapists get off scot-free. 

American Indians only make up one half of one percent of the US population. Therefore, it's extremely difficult and time consuming for them to fight off these horrific stereotypes. 

Blatant racism not only hurts American Indians' identities and sovereignty (it makes it seem as if no Native Americans are left and all of the "real Indians" are dead, which makes it harder for the nations to hold onto their federal recognition), but it also perpetuates the sexualization of American Indians, which leads to more rape and sexual abuse. 

All of these things are due to colonialism, and that's still going on today. 

This book and all other forms of racist literature perpetuate colonialism and genocide.  The videos below are results of the same type of racism that's portrayed in this book. The last residential school closed in 1996, just so everyone knows how long this horrific practice went on.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!