Monday, May 20, 2013

SWEET PERIL by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Peril
Wendy Higgins

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?


My thoughts on the book:
Wow. Sweet Peril is an amazing follow-up to Sweet Evil. This book does not suffer from "second book syndrome" nor does it disappoint. I was kept on the edge of my seat the entire time. The character growth is believable, the plot is intriguing and intense, the pacing is spot-on, and the ending leaves the reader wanting more. This is one novel that cannot be missed. 

Anna is a fantastic leading lady, and in this installment she shows her strength by *not* acting like Bella Swan and laying down and dying because Kaidan went away. Anna realizes that there are things in life that are more important than her and that people are depending on her. She focuses on what she has to and tries to push her sadness away as much as possible. This shows great maturity, and I really loved that about her. Kaidan also grows a lot in this book, and even though I was a Kai fan before, I really adore him now. Kopano bores me a bit. He's not my favorite character. He's nice enough and all, but super boring. I really enjoyed getting to know Zania and Flynn, and I also liked seeing more of Blake, Ginger, and Marna. 

The plot is pretty intense, and I was definitely engaged with the entire story. I couldn't put the book down. I had to know what was going to happen to these poor nephilim. Things weren't necessarily action-packed, but there was a sense of urgency throughout the entire novel. Also, once Kaidan re-entered the scene, things got extremely interesting. The ending leaves the reader wanting more, but ties up a lot of the unanswered questions from this book. I guess I'd say it's a semi-cliffhanger. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone. It's a good, lighthearted read with a fantastic heroine, interesting secondary characters, and intriguing plots. You can't go wrong with these books

Order Sweet Peril!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!