Monday, June 10, 2013

LINKED by Imogen Howsen

Linked
Imogen Howsen

Rating: D
Release Date: 06/11/13
Synopsis:
Elissa used to have it all: looks, popularity, and a bright future. But for the last three years, she’s been struggling with terrifying visions, phantom pains, and mysterious bruises that appear out of nowhere. 

Finally, she’s promised a cure: minor surgery to burn out the overactive area of her brain. But on the eve of the procedure, she discovers the shocking truth behind her hallucinations: she’s been seeing the world through another girl’s eyes. 

Elissa follows her visions, and finds a battered, broken girl on the run. A girl—Lin—who looks exactly like Elissa, down to the matching bruises. The twin sister she never knew existed. 

Now, Elissa and Lin are on the run from a government who will stop at nothing to reclaim Lin and protect the dangerous secrets she could expose—secrets that would shake the very foundation of their world. 

Riveting, thought-provoking and utterly compelling, Linked will make you question what it really means to be human.


My thoughts on the book:
Linked had so much going on that I was expecting it to be super interesting, but instead it fell flat. I was bored the entire time. The relationships were stilted and awkward, the characters were dull and lifeless, the plot had potential but ended up boring, and the writing was bland. The only two things I enjoyed about this book were the concept and the world-building. I know a lot of people have enjoyed this book, but sadly I wasn't one of them. 

Elissa was an extremely dull main character, and because of that, I didn't really care what happened to her. Her parents were equally dull, and their relationship was awkward and stilted and not at all believable. Lin, while a bit more intriguing because of the mystery surrounding her, still somehow managed to be dull. Her relationship with Elissa was strange and didn't make much sense; therefore it wasn't too believable. Cadan (I think that was his name, I can't remember), the love interest was the biggest brat ever. I really couldn't stand him. He was way too immature. 

The plot had a lot of potential, but the writing made it dull as well. I know I'm overusing that word, but I can't help it. Also the boring (trying to mix it up a bit) characters made me not care what happened next. I made myself finish it, but I fell asleep while reading (when I wasn't even tired) a few times. The sci-fi elements were cool ideas, but again didn't shine as they should. The romance didn't work for me, either. 

Overall, I say give this book a try because a lot of people seem to like it. It bored me, but it may not bore you! If you're hesitant, then try it out at the library first. I wish I'd liked it more than I had, but I don't want to turn anyone away from a book that has such a cool concept, even if the execution, in my opinion, was lacking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!