Monday, October 7, 2013

THE BROKENHEARTED by Amelia Kahaney

Rating: F
Release Date: 10/08/13
Synopsis:
A teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and must balance her old life with the dark secret of who she has become.

Prima ballerina Anthem Fleet is closely guarded by her parents in their penthouse apartment. But when she meets the handsome Gavin at a party on the wrong side of town, she is immediately drawn into his dangerous world. Then, in a tragic accident, Anthem falls to her death. She awakes in an underground lab, with a bionic heart ticking in her chest. As she navigates her new life, she uncovers the sinister truth behind those she trusted the most, and the chilling secret of her family lineage…and her duty to uphold it.

The Dark Knight meets Cinder in this gripping and cinematic story of heartbreak and revenge. From Alloy Entertainment, this inventive new superhero story is sure to captivate any reader.


My thoughts on the book:
The Brokenhearted is one of the biggest literary disappointments I've had this year. I had high expectations for this novel. I mean look at that cover! Read that synopsis! After this book, I've decided to stop reading any stories that have to do with ballerinas since I seem to hate every single one of them (this is the third of fourth ballerina story I absolutely loathed). The characters are under-developed and annoying. The world-building is non-existent, the pacing is off, and the plot is scattered. I'd say avoid this one at all costs. 

Anthem obviously has a stupid name, but more than that, she has a stupid personality. She is so annoying. I just could not stand reading about her, and I kept hoping she'd die. She falls in love instantly, she's a brat, and she's kind of self-absorbed. She's over-dramatic, too. Oh, and she gives away her v-card like it doesn't even matter. That's a great message from a "superhero" to the teenage population. Gavin is also annoying and quite weak, in my opinion. Anthem's obsession with getting him back is overboard, and I just didn't buy it. The whole thing is just stupid, stupid, stupid. 

World-building. It's important. I have no idea where this is set or how the mechanical heart really works. I couldn't picture the place because the author GIVES NO EXPLANATIONS FOR ANYTHING. It was so annoying, I almost threw my Kindle across the room several times, and I love my Kindle. Ugh. And the pacing is terrible. Slow. as. molasses. And the plot is so freaking stupid. I just can't. I need to stop talking now before I become super insulting. That's not my goal. I just really hated this book. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to my worst enemies and that's about it. Avoid it. 

2 comments:

  1. NOOO, that is such a bummer, I was looking forward to this one. This isn't the first bad review I have read either. So I will not be reading this one. Terrible world building is a huge pet peeve of mine, there is no way I could get past that. Great review though!

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I've been curious about the story. Thanks for the honest review, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!