Wednesday, December 3, 2014

DOG WITH A BONE by Hailey Edwards

Rating: B+
Synopsis:
Half-bloods with Thierry’s skill set are given two options. They can join the conclave’s marshal program, or they can pack their bags. Turn down the job offer, and you’ve just shredded your residency pass for the mortal realm and booked yourself a one-way ticket to Faerie.


Texas is the only home Thierry has ever known, and she’s not going anywhere. Even if it means following in her notorious father’s footsteps as a peacekeeper. But pinning on the badge opens her eyes to the fact sometimes fae need protection too, and that sometimes humans are the real monsters.

My thoughts on the book:
I always enjoy Hailey Edwards' books, and this one was no exception. My main complaint is that it was too short! I flew through the pages and wanted more. The characters were realistic and likable, and I found myself really rooting for Thierry and Shaw. I wish that she'd added a bit more world-building, but I'm excited to see what the next book brings.

Thierry was an interesting character, and she had a really dark past. I liked that about her. I hate when MCs seem perfect. She wasn't so tormented that she was angsty and whiney, though. She was very strong. I think Thierry was a good balance and remarkably well-adjusted, considering her life. Shaw was a bit more complicated, in my opinion, but I liked him quite a bit. He made for a good love interest, and he also wasn't angsty and angry, even though his past was also rough. The secondary characters weren't around a lot, but they were a colorful group - each one had his or her own personality, and I loved it. I can't wait to get to know them more.

The pacing and plot were fantastic in this novel, but the world-building was lacking, in my opinion. I still don't fully understand Thierry's gift - what are the runes for? I get that her left hand kills things and that her powers are growing, but I'm still confused about what she can do. I don't think Thierry knew all there was to know about her powers, either, though, so I'm hopeful that more explanations will be given in the next installment. Also, I would like to know more about the different types of fae and what their powers are. I just didn't feel like I understood the world fully. Of course the book was so short that there wasn't much room for world-building. The next one is supposed to be longer, so things should be explained in more detail. The romance in this book wasn't as hot as the romance in Edwards' other series. Every time it started to get steamy, something interrupted. Things were a bit sweeter and more genuine because of that, though, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing where Shaw and Thierry go from here. The ending tied things up from this book, but set the scene for the next installment, which I can't wait to read.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to people who are tired of the same old paranormal romances. This one was a bit different and the characters definitely stand out in a good way.

Order Dog with a Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!