Thursday, May 7, 2015

Lie Down with Dogs by Hailey Edwards

Rating: B+
Synopsis:
With tentative peace established in Faerie, Thierry returns to her job as a conclave marshal in Texas while the countdown to her coronation begins. But what happens in Faerie doesn't always stay in Faerie. A crown wasn't Theirry's only souvenir from her trip. Her new husband, Rook, is scheming again, and this time his plans are invading her dreams.

When her best friend throws a beachside going away party, Thierry is grateful for the distraction from Rook...and from Shaw. But her presence in Daytona rouses an old evil, one who wants the future queen as the crown jewel of his private collection.


My thoughts on the book: 
I enjoy most books by Hailey Edwards, and this novel was no exception. I think this series is actually my favorite of hers, so far. Lie Down with Dogs was a lot different than the first two books in the series, and it took a little while to adjust to Thierry's new life circumstances. However, I was quickly captivated by the world and characters and couldn't put the book down. I'm looking forward to the sequel, but also dreading it since it will be the last book in the series, and I hate to see such a good story end. 

Thierry is a likable and strong heroine. I really love reading from her perspective, though her stubbornness irritates me sometimes. No one is perfect, though, and I like that she is flawed. In this novel Thierry made some pretty big mistakes, but I was rooting for her the whole time. Shaw also redeemed himself in this book, which helped the story progress. We didn't get to see much of Rook, which kind of sucked because he was an interesting character. I really loved Diode, and Mable's had a couple of cameos, but not enough to develop any more than she already had. 

The world-building had already been established for this series, but Edwards was able to explain new occurrences in a way that made them fit perfectly with the story. The plot itself was intriguing, even though the pacing and feel of this book was very different from the first two. The ending was a cliffhanger, but it answered a lot of the questions raised in this novel. The writing was wonderfully done, and the character dialogue was realistic. 


Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who wants to read something a bit different about the fae. I'd also recommend any of Hailey Edwards' books to people who haven't read her before. She really is a fantastic author.

Order Lie Down with Dogs today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!